Traffic Cone Basics
Traffic cones (also called road cones, pylons, safety
cones or construction cones) are used to provide advance warning of safety hazards and redirect traffic. When purchasing traffic cones or other
channelizers it is important to be informed of safety standards in your areas so that you are meeting the appropriate guidelines. We outline some
basic guidelines below and a link to the MUTCD online manual.
- 4 - 6" Cones
- These shorter cones are used in athletic events, obstacles courses, and games.
- 12" Traffic Cone
- Used for indoor and outdoor applications. Indoors you may see these cones used in areas like work
areas in a building or slippery floors. Outdoors these cones are most often used in parking lots.
- 18" Traffic Cone
- 18 inches is the minimum height required for street usage. These cones are typically used outdoors in
street work areas, like line painting or other areas needing delineation.
- 28" Traffic Cone, 7lb
- These cones are more appropriate for non-highway applications that may include street
construction areas. Traffic cones of this size and weight are sometimes called 'metro cones'.
- 28" Traffic Cone, 10lb
- 28 inches is the minimum height required for freeway and highway applications and the 10 lb
base makes them more stable. Highway cones must include reflective striping.
- 36" Traffic Cone, 10lb
- Also used in freeway and highway applications and again should include reflective
For more detailed safety specifications: MUTCD Online Manual:
See Section 6F.59 Cones
Why TSW is Where to Buy Traffic Cones:
- We provide the best line of traffic cone and traffic barricade
- Extremely competitively priced
- PVC Injection molded plastic makes our cones very durable and long
- NCHRP-350/MASH Accepted
- Meets MUTCD Standards
- Maximum day and night
- Large selection of colors and sizes
- Strength and flexibility help them retain their shape
even when hit by a vehicle
- AND all our traffic cones are backed by our top level customer service to make sure you are
completely satisfied with your purchase.
- Traffic Cone Colors: Our cones are available in fluorescent orange, yellow (lime green), blue, white and green.
Back to Traffic Cone Products