Traffic Cones 101: Traffic Cone Basics
These basics might be helpful to first time traffic and safety cone purchasers. Traffic cones, also called road cones, pylons, safety cones or construction cones, are used to provide advance warning of safety hazards and redirect traffic. It is important for anyone responsible for the purchase of traffic cones to be aware of traffic cones standards so that they are meeting the appropriate guidelines. We outline some basic guidelines below and a link to the MUTCD online manual.
- Street Usage Standards: The minimum height of cones used on city streets is 18"
- Freeway Usage Standards: Minimum cone height where speeds are higher is 28" - 36"
- Night Time Safety Cones: Cones used at night must have reflector collars
- Parking Lots: 12" cones are typically used in parking lots
- Athletic Events: 4 - 6" cones are typically used in athletic events, obstacle courses or similar activities
- Cone Color Guidelines: Only lime green or orange cones may be used on roadways. Other cone colors are reserved for events not involving roadways
For more detailed specifications: MUTCD Online Manual: See Section 6F.59 Cones
Why TSW Traffic Cones:
- Extremely competitively priced
- PVC Injection molded makes them very durable and long lasting
- NCHRP-350/MASH Accepted
- Meets MUTCD Standards
- Maximum day and night visibility
- Large selection of colors and sizes
- Strength and flexibility help them retain their shape even when hit by a vehicle
- All our cones are backed by our top level customer service to make sure you are completely satisfied with your purchase.